Taking a Closer Look into Face Lift Procedures
Rhytidectomy is more commonly known as facelift. It’s a surgical procedure which can remove some of the more apparent signs of aging from the face and neck. These include
- lines below the eyes and along the nose
- loss of skin tone
- loose skin
- fat which has disappeared or fallen
When should you undertake a facelift?
There is no exact answer as different people age differently. However, it may be time to consider a facelift:
- if you feel that your face needs rejuvenation because it doesn’t correspond to your youthful spirit
- if your face shows aging signs, but your skin retains some of its elasticity
- if you feel that excess skin and sagging on your face can hinder your career plans or is affecting your social life
- if you noticed that sun exposure, stress, genes, and time have left marks on your face
- if you feel as if it is not your face anymore
What are the pros and cons?
If you’ cannot decide, below are some most common advantages and disadvantages of facelift procedures you need to take into consideration:
- On the plus side, facelift is one procedure which can improve several areas at once. Its effects are usually noticeable for ten years. Another plus is that it can make you look between ten and fifteen years younger.
- On the negative side, recovery can be long depending on the person. Furthermore, sometimes you may need another intervention after you finish the first one. This usually depends on skin type and age.
Bear in mind that these procedures cannot stop the process of aging. You shouldn’t expect drastic changes especially if you’re not willing to undergo extensive surgical procedures.
If you’re doubtful, you should also consider treatments which don’t involve scalpels. They can delay the need for surgeries at a later time, when you feel more ready.
Are you a good candidate?
Apart from being generally healthy, facelift experts list several other features which make a person a good candidate for rhytidectomy.
Firstly, you shouldn’t have any medical conditions which can cause complications during surgery. These can include:
- obstructive sleep apnea,
- high blood pressure, obesity
Secondly, non-smokers are considered better candidates than smokers.
Lastly, your psychological condition is also important. You will be considered a good candidate if you are a person with realistic expectations and a positive attitude.
What does a facelift procedure include?
There are many different procedures, and they depend upon the patient. Most of them are performed in the lower portion of your face, such as the jawline and cheeks. There are also those which focus on the forehead or the middle portion of your face.
Some procedures include removing or adding fat and the removal of excess skin. Others include tightening or moving deeper tissue in order to achieve results.
However, the techniques available today are safe and their results are more durable when compared to the ones done in the past.
After the surgery, you may need to wear a bandage which will reduce the swelling. Swelling is a common post-operative side-effect.
Depending on the type of surgery, certain cases your recovery will include tubes that drain accumulated excess fluids under the skin.
Doctors will provide instructions on how to take care of yourselves and how to treat places where incisions were made.
Be sure to follow these closely and take any medication because it will protect you against possible infections. Also, don’t be afraid to ask your surgeon anything that is unclear about your recovery process.
Are there risks of complication?
As it is the case with any surgery, facelift also carries certain risks which you should be aware of. These include risks related to anaesthesia, infections, skin loss, injury of facial nerves, accumulation of fluid, scarring, skin discolouration, numbness, persistent pain, bleeding, poor and wound healing.
Other than health risks, unfavourable cosmetic results can include unwanted scars, deformities forming at the ends of the incisions and asymmetry.
Your surgeon must discuss all of these risks with you. You’re obliged to sign consent forms. These serve as proof that you fully understand all the potential risks and complication as well as the procedure.
How should you select the surgeon?
First and foremost, it is important to choose a surgeon you trust. This includes checking their education, certification and training, as well as experience they have in performing facelift procedures. Be sure you feel comfortable and during your consultations discuss everything in detail.
The consultations are used to discuss both your health and goals you want to achieve with the surgery. Be prepared for this and be honest, because it is important for your surgeon to know all your medical conditions in order make safe decisions. Since these consultations are in-depth, most of them include a reservation and a fee.
Your decision to undergo a facelift surgery is an intimate one. No one can, nor should, tell you what to do in this regard. However, before you decide, be sure to get all necessary information regarding
- the procedures
- the best possible solution
- all possible complications
- your choice of surgeon: in whom you can place your trust and with whom you feel comfortable