Getting Rid Of Vaginal Odor With These Useful Tips
What Is Vaginal Odor?
Vaginal odor is defined as any odor that comes from the vagina. It is a common problem that most women have to deal with at some point in their lives. In fact, up to 85% of women surveyed said they have experienced this from time to time.
What causes Vaginal Odor ?
This condition might occur during the woman’s monthly cycle, and sometimes after enjoying sexual intercourse.
Common causes of vaginal odor may include:
- Bacterial vaginosis (or the overgrowth of the normal vaginal bacteria)
- Poor personal hygiene
- Vaginal yeast infections
- Hormonal changes
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) or Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
Other potential causes of this problem are:
- Vaginal cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Rectovaginal fistula
What are the symptoms of Vaginal Odor?
Normally, if vaginal odor occurs, its symptoms and signs can be the following:
- Metallic/fishy smell
- Itching or irritation in the vaginal area
- Burning sensation in the vagina
For most women, having vaginal odor is extremely embarrassing and it has a great effect on their confidence. Although there are a lot of medical treatments available to manage this problem, an increasing number of people have turned to natural home remedies.
Here are the top effective ways to treat vaginal odor.
Natural treatments for Vaginal Odor
Getting rid of vaginal odor with these useful tips:
Yogurt is one of the best home treatments which is useful for getting rid of vaginal odor fast and safely. Packed with lactobacillus bacteria, it can help balance the pH of the vagina and fight candida infection – one of the causes of foul vaginal odor.
Consume yogurt regularly is a simple method to improve your overall health as well as prevent this condition.
Or you can follow these steps:
- Soak a tampon in plain yogurt and then insert it into your vagina.
- Let it stay for a few hours
- Remove the tampon and rinse the vaginal area carefully with warm water.
- Repeat this treatment 4 – 5 days a week until the symptoms resolve
Apple Cider Vinegar
Many studies have suggested that the antibacterial and antiseptic properties found in apple cider vinegar can help fight off toxins and bacteria which contribute to itching, burning and irritation in the vaginal area.
Moreover, apple cider vinegar has the ability to maintain normal vaginal pH levels and prevent yeast infection as well.
- Fill a tub with warm water and add two cups of apple cider vinegar in it.
- Soak in this solution for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Repeat this simple home remedy three or four times a week until you notice a difference.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has been prized for its various health benefits for thousands of years. Recent studies have suggested that the powerful anti-fungal and antiseptic properties found in it can help eliminate the bacteria that contributes to this condition.
There are a lot of ways you can apply this treatment:
- Dilute the tea tree oil by adding 3 – 4 drops of this essential oil to a glass of water
- Gently rinse/wash affected areas with this solution
- Repeat this treatment 3 – 4 times weekly to get the best results.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with ½ teaspoon of olive oil
- Dip a fresh tampon in this solution and then insert it into your body.
- Leave it in for about one or two hours
- Remove the tampon and use warm water to wash your vaginal area.
Known for its natural antibiotic, garlic is very excellent to give vaginal odor a solid blow. According to a 2009 study conducted at Harvard Medical School and Cambridge Health Alliance, garlic contains strong anti-fungal properties which can help keep yeast levels in the vagina under control.
Women who have vaginal odor can consume cooked or raw garlic on a regular basis to get rid of this problem fast and effectively. You also can follow these steps:
- Put a clove of garlic in the vagina and leave it for one or two hours
- Use this remedy once daily or 4 – 5 times a week until the symptoms resolve.
In general, an alkaline vaginal pH can cause the microbial growth and foul smell. White vinegar has been proven to have the ability to balance the pH level which helps limit the growth of the bacteria and odor in your vagina.
- Mix two tablespoons of white vinegar with ½ teaspoon of salt
- Fill a tub with lukewarm water and this mixture
- Soak in it for 5 – 7 minutes
- Repeat thegar, you also can balance and maintain the pH level in your vagina by using baking soda. This home remedy has been used and spread rapidly over the last decades.
- Simply dissolve one or two tablespoons of baking soda in bath water and then soak in it for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Make sure you dry your vaginal area with a clean, soft and dry towel.
This article is written by Arial Grande – Senior Editor of Authority Remedies. She is a certified pharmacist after finishing her bachelor degree of Healthcare Management at University of Findlay. She has worked and trained in the field of Nutrition and Health for over 2 years, consistently providing people with useful information about nutrition as well as helping them with their common health problems.