What is onion breath and what causes it?
Used in various dishes, onions add great supplemental texture and flavour.
In addition, onion is a rich source of vitamin B and C, acid folic and fibre which are beneficial to health.
However, those who love eating onions are usually not happy with onion breath.
An unpleasant smell can stay in your mouth for a long time. It can affect your confidence when communicating with other people.
Onion breath happens after eating uncooked onions. The sulfur compounds in onion is the main cause for this issue.
When uncooked onion is consumed, odour molecules get into the lungs through the blood flow. This increases the bad odour when you breathe out. (To make things clear, cooked onion does not cause smelly breath.)
Other factors like gum diseases, dry mouth, medication, smoking and diseases can make onion breath worse as these conditions play a key role in creating smelly breath.
The best method to prevent onion breath is abstinence from eating raw onion. Should this not be possible, you may try some of the simple remedies below to get rid of onion breath naturally and instantly.
Natural foods to eliminate onion breath
1. Green tea
Green tea is very helpful in minimizing the after-effects of onion consumption. As it is rich in polyphenol and antioxidants , it can eradicate the sulfur compounds in onion, thus reduce the smell of onion.
How to use Green Tea
- Add 1 coffee spoon of green tea to a glass of warm water. Cover up and let it steam for five minutes. Strain then serve with honey. Consume for a few times per day, depending on your degree of onion breath.
- Also, drinking strong black coffee may work as well.
The citric in lemon can balance the smell of onion. In addition, its antibacterial characteristic is able to kill the bacteria which cause smelly breath.
How to use Lemon
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice into a glass of water then mix together. Consume this liquid to wash your mouth two or three times daily until the onion smell totally disappears.
- You may also drink one or two cup of lemonade to reduce onion breath. It is said that home-made lemonade is the best cure for onion breath.
- Another way is sucking a little lemon or chew a piece of lemon peel to remove the onion smell.
3. Mustard Sauce
Mustard sauce can be another easy method to eliminate your onion breath. The aroma getting out from mustard sauce will conceal the smell of onion.
How to use Mustard Sauce
- First, put one spoon of mustard sauce into your mouth and move it around for 1 minute and then spit it out.
- Then, swallow another coffee spoon of mustard sauce. Wash your mouth carefully by water afterward.
The fat in milk helps neutralize the sulfur in onion, the ingredient which creates your onion breath. An added benefit is that milk works as a home-made mouth-cleaner! Full-fat cow’s milk will produce better result than non-fat milk.
How to use Milk
- Just drink a glass of full-fat milk and wait for the effect of smelly onion odour to reduce. Consume milk before an onion-rich meal.
The cardamom aroma can eradicate the foul-smelling bacteria in your mouth and fight smelly onion breath.
How to use Cardamom
- Drink one to two cups of tea made from cardamom. First, take the seeds from three to four cardamom pods and crush them. Next, put them in two cups of water. Boil the water in a saucepan. You may add a cinnamon stick. Then, according to your taste, add one tablespoon of black tea leaves and sugar to taste. If you like it, you can add some milk, just enough to make the tea a light brown colour. Bring it to a boil again and serve.
- Also, chew a bit of cardamom after eating onion can work as well.
Apple is an effective treatment for onion breath. The natural enzymes in apples help break down the sulfur compounds and therefore, help prevent the smell of onion.
How to use Apples
- After eating food which contain raw onions, eat an apple to fight the smell of onion.
- Another way is drinking a glass of apple juice.
7. Baking soda
Baking soda is one good remedy to use to eliminate onion breath without having to give up eating raw onions. Baking soda can neutralize the smell of onion and balance the pH of your mouth to prevent bacteria from growing. Research has shown that the sodium bicarbonate content in baking soda is also effective for treatment of oral thrush.
How to use Baking Soda
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with the same proportion of salt sea in a cup of warm water.
- Use this liquid as a mouthwash several times a day to limit onion breath.
Let’s be realistic about this: onions do not really smell that bad. Like everything else about ourselves, we tend to magnify things and make them worse. Stop being so self-conscious; it is just vegetable!
About the Author:
Elsie Kane is a passionate contributor at AuthorityRemedies. She is highly appreciated by her educational background in Fitness, Health and Nutrition that has given her a broad base from which to approach many topics. Her passion is providing people with useful information in all aspects of health and nutrition for a better and healthy life.